thoughts of a butterfly

Thursday, January 26, 2006

I well like being a teacher (although i totally want something permanent rather than supplying any longer). These stories about teaching made me smile (I reckon from now on I'm gonna keep a record of all the funny things kids say when I teach them):

1. Some family acts are hard to follow. When Maria Taft daughter of William Howard Taft III, was a shy schoolgirl, she was asked by her teacher to write a brief family history. After much consideration she wrote her report. It read: "My great-grandfather was president of the United States. My grandfather was a senator from Ohio. My father is ambassador to Ireland. I am a Brownie."

2. Having a few extra minutes one day, I asked my first-grader to write their numbers as far as they could without looking (ie: referring to a number chart on the board). As I was monitoring their progress, I noticed one student had her head down on her desk. As I approached her, I saw that her eyes were closed and she was writing her numbers without looking (C.P, Picher)

3. At the begining of the year, I have my first years learn their name, age and eye-colour. When I come to eye colour, I tell them to write the name of their colour by finding the crayon that matches their eyes. As I was checking what each child wrote, I noted that one child had written "eye colour: crayola." (S.M, Norman)

4. My first year was talking about the recent fire in his school. "I knew it was going to happen," he said. "We had been practising for it all year."

5. In the Autumn, the children had planted some flower bulbs outside the school. One morning in the spring a very special pupil asked, "When are we going to dig up the lights we planted?"

6. One day during the school year I needed to take time off. I arranged for a substitute teacher to cover my reception class. When I returned to school the following day, one of my pupils came to me and said "Miss Young, don't ever get that prostitute again. She was terrible!"

7. A reception teacher was observing her classroom of children while they drew. She would occasionally walk around to see each child's artwork. As she got to one girl who was working diligently she asked what the drawing was. The girl replied, "I'm drawing God." The teacher paused and said "but no one knows what God looked like." Without missing a beat or looking up from her drawing , the girl replied "they will in a minute."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home